Saturday 7 December 2013

Hard to believe I’ve been here 5 weeks already! Sorry for the delayed blog post, it’s been a busy month, and this is the first time I’ve had internet on my laptop! It’s been a bit – ok a big adjustment here, but I’m feeling a lot more confident in my role here, thanks to lots of prayer and support from the families here J The first 5 days I spent in the city at a leadership conference with the 3 families that run the project and the other volunteer Rachel. It was really nice to adjust to the culture and be able to buy some clothes before moving to the hills, which is very remote and traditional! The project here involves a Christian school, which has over 600 students, a boys home with 90 boys and then a girls home with 30 girls. From Monday – Friday I teach 3-4 classes a day mostly English and gym but I have a religious studies class and a literacy class as well. It was a little overwhelming at first, but with practice I’m getting more comfortable with it all! After school a few days a week we try to organize games (usually soccer) with the girls at the girls home...they love it! And then Saturdays Rachel and I usually spend some time chatting or playing games as well. This week we all put up the Christmas tree! Everyone was so excited about that J Every school day we eat lunch with the girls at the home, which is rice and usually a lentil based sauce with vegetables. We eat on the floor and with our right hand (no utensils) just like the girls. That took a bit of getting used to!  3 times a week in the evening we go to the home for prayers and rach and I take turns leading them. For supper we rotate through the 3 families houses and sometimes we get to cook as well! It’s a mix of Indian and western food which is really nice! We went to the nearest city (Salem) last weekend for shopping and to visit a small church plant for their evening service. It was nice to meet some more young people there and to get a change of scenery! That was the second time I had been off the compound since coming! There’s a small village that we can walk to from here, but you can only get snacks or drinks there. We can’t go alone, so it’s nice that there’s 2 volunteers here at the moment J Something I would like prayer for is building relationships with the girls at the home, and to have continued energy to put into them while I’m here! Thanks for all the encouragement I’ve received over the past months and prayers! I really appreciate it J
                

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from you again Katie. Peter said you were doing some teaching, sounds like a big load. When you teach ask lots of questions to make sure they are following and understanding and don't be afraid to go slow and repeat lots especially if it is important. Like drilling a soccer play until it becomes natural and easy.
    I will continue to pray that you can connect with the girls in many different ways. Blessings on your days in India. Bruce Dunk at Paris

    ReplyDelete